NSA Series Appliances
Next Generation Unified Threat
The SonicWALL Network Security Appliance Series:
Organizations of all sizes depend on their networks to access internal and external mission-critical applications. As advances in networking continue to provide tremendous benefits, organizations are increasingly challenged by sophisticated and financially-motivated attacks designed to disrupt communication, degrade performance and compromise data. Malicious attacks penetrate outdated stateful packet inspection firewalls with advanced application layer exploits. Point products add layers of security, but are costly, difficult to manage, limited in controlling network misuse and ineffective against the latest multipronged attacks.
By utilizing a unique multi-core design and patented Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection™ (RFDPI) technology*, the SonicWALL® Network Security Appliance (NSA) Series of Next-Generation Firewalls offers complete protection without compromising network performance. The low latency NSA Series overcomes the limitations of existing security solutions by scanning the entirety of each packet for current internal and external threats in real-time. The NSA Series offers intrusion prevention, malware protection, and application intelligence, control and visualization, while delivering breakthrough performance. With advanced routing, stateful high-availability and high-speed IPSec and SSL VPN technology, the NSA Series adds security, reliability, functionality and productivity to branch offices, central sites and distributed mid-enterprise networks, while minimizing cost and complexity.
Comprised of the SonicWALL NSA 220, NSA 220 Wireless-N, NSA 250M, NSA 250M Wireless-N, NSA 2400, NSA 3500 and NSA 4500, the NSA Series offers a scalable range of solutions designed to meet the network security needs of any organization.
- Next-Generation Firewall
- Scalable multi-core hardware and Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection
- Application intelligence, control and visualization
- Stateful high availability and load balancing
- High performance and lowered TCO
- Network productivity
- Advanced routing services and networking
- Standards-based Voice over IP (VoIP)
- SonicWALL Clean Wireless
- Onboard Quality of Service (QoS)
- Integrated modules suppor
*U.S. Patents 7,310,815; 7,600,257; 7,738,380; 7,835,361; 7,991,723
Features & Benefits:
- Next-Generation Firewall features integrate intrusion prevention, gateway anti-virus, anti-spyware and URL filtering with application intelligence and control, and SSL decryption to block threats from entering the network and provide granular application control without compromising performance.
- Scalable multi-core hardware and Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection scans and eliminates threats of unlimited file sizes, with near-zero latency across thousands of connections at wire speed.
- Application intelligence, control and visualization provides granular control and real-time visualization of applications to guarantee bandwidth prioritization and ensure maximum network security and productivity.
- Stateful high availability and load balancing features maximize total network bandwidth and maintain seamless network uptime, delivering uninterrupted access to mission-critical resources, and ensuring that VPN tunnels and other network traffic will not be interrupted in the event of a failover.
- High performance and lowered TCO are achieved by using the processing power of multiple cores in unison to dramatically increase throughput and provide simultaneous inspection capabilities, while lowering power consumption.
- Network productivity increases because IT can identify and throttle or block unauthorized, unproductive and non-work related applications and web sites, such as Facebook® or YouTube®, and can optimize WAN traffic when integrated with SonicWALL WAN Acceleration Appliance (WXA) solutions
- Advanced routing services and networking features incorporate 802.1q VLANs, multi-WAN failover, zone and object-based management, load balancing, advanced NAT modes, and more, providing granular configuration flexibility and comprehensive protection at the administrator's discretion.
- Standards-based Voice over IP (VoIP) capabilities provide the highest levels of security for every element of the VoIP infrastructure, from communications equipment to VoIP-ready devices such as SIP Proxies, H.323 Gatekeepers and Call Servers.
- SonicWALL Clean Wireless optionally integrated into dual-band wireless models or via SonicWALL SonicPoint wireless access points provides powerful and secure 802.11a/b/g/n 3x3 MIMO wireless, and enables scanning for rogue wireless access points in compliance with PCI DSS.
- Onboard Quality of Service (QoS) features use industry standard 802.1p and Differentiated Services Code Points (DSCP) Class of Service (CoS) designators to provide powerful and flexible bandwidth management that is vital for VoIP, multimedia content and business-critical applications.
- Integrated modules support on NSA 250M and NSA 250M Wireless-N appliances reduce acquisition and maintenance costs through equipment consolidation, and add deployment flexibility.
Flexible, Customizable Deployment Options:
Every SonicWALL Network Security Appliance solution delivers Next-Generation Firewall protection, utilizing a breakthrough multi-core hardware design and Reassembly- Free Deep Packet Inspection for internal and external network protection without compromising network performance. Each NSA Series product combines high-speed intrusion prevention, file and content inspection, and powerful application intelligence and control with an extensive array of advanced networking and flexible configuration features. The NSA Series offers an accessible, affordable platform that is easy to deploy and manage in a wide variety of corporate, branch office and distributed network environments.
- The SonicWALL NSA 4500 is ideal for large distributed and corporate central-site environments requiring high throughput capacity and performance
- The SonicWALL NSA 3500 is ideal for distributed, branch office and corporate environments needing significant throughput capacity and performance
- The SonicWALL NSA 2400 is ideal for branch office and small- to medium-sized corporate environments concerned about throughput capacity and performance
- The SonicWALL NSA 220, NSA 220 Wireless-N, NSA 250M and NSA 250M Wireless-N are ideal for branch office sites in distributed enterprise, small- to medium-sized businesses and retail environments
|Appliance:||NSA 220/W||NSA 250M/W||NSA 2400||NSA 3500||NSA 4500|
|SonicOS Version||SonicOS 5.8.11||SonicOS Enhanced 5.6 (or higher)|
|Stateful Throughput1||600 Mbps||750 Mbps||775 Mbps||1.5 Gbps||2.75 Gbps|
|GAV Performance2||115 Mbps||140 Mbps||160 Mbps||350 Mbps||690 Mbps|
|IPS Performance2||195 Mbps||250 Mbps||275 Mbps||750 Mbps||1.4 Gbps|
|Full DPI Performance2||110 Mbps||130 Mbps||150 Mbps||240 Mbps||600 Mbps|
|IMIX Peformance2||180 Mbps||210 Mbps||235 Mbps||580 Mbps||700 Mbps|
|Maximum DPI Connections||32,000||64,000||125,000||175,000||250,000|
|Denial of Service Attack Prevention||22 classes of DoS, DDoS and scanning attacks|
|SonicPoints Supported (maximum)||16||24||32||48||64|
|3DES/AES Throughput5||150 Mbps||200 Mbps||300 Mbps||625 Mbps||1.0 Gbps|
|Site-to-Site VPN Tunnels||25||50||75||800||1,500|
|Bundled Global VPN Client Licenses for Remote Access (Maximum)||2 (25)||2 (25)||10 (250)||50 (1,000)||500 (3,000)|
|Bundled SSL VPN Licenses (Maximum)||2 (15)||2 (15)||2 (25)||2 (30)||2 (30)|
|Virtual Assist Bundled (Maximum)||1 30-day trial (5)||1 30-day trial (5)||1 (5)||2 (10)||2 (10)|
|Encryption/Authentication/DH Group||DES, 3DES, AES (128, 192, 256-bit), MD5, SHA-1/DH Groups 1, 2, 5, 14|
|Key Exchange||IKE, IKEv2, Manual Key, PKI (X.509), L2TP over IPSec|
|Route-Based VPN||Yes (OSPF, RIP)|
|Certificate Support||Verisign, Thawte, Cybertrust, RSA Keon, Entrust, and Microsoft CA for SonicWALL-to-SonicWALL VPN, SCEP|
|Dead Peer Detection||Yes|
|DHCP Over VPN||Yes|
|IPSec NAT Traversal||Yes|
|Redundant VPN Gateway||Yes|
|Global VPN Client Platforms Supported||Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Microsoft Vista 32-bit/64 bit, Windows 7 32/64-bit|
|SSL VPN Platforms Supported||Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP / Vista 32/64-bit / Windows 7, Mac 10.4+, Linux FC 3+ / Ubuntu 7+ / OpenSUSE|
|Deep Packet Inspection Security Services|
|Deep Packet Inspection Signature Service||Gateway Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Intrusion Prevention and Application Intelligence and Control|
|Content Filtering Service (CFS) Premium Edition||(CFS) HTTP URL,HTTPS IP, keyword and content scanning ActiveX, Java Applet, and cookie blocking, bandwidth management on filtering categories, allow/forbit lists|
|Gateway-enforced Client Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware||SonicWALL Enforced Client Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware – McAfee|
|Comprehensive Anti-Spam Service†||Supported|
|Application Intelligence and control||Application bandwidth management and control, prioritize or block application by signatures, control file transfers, scan for keywords or phrases.|
|DPI-SSL6||Provides the ability to decrypt HTTPS traffic transparently, scan this traffic for threats using SonicWALLs Deep Packet Inspection technology (GAV/AS/IPS/Application Intelligence/CFS),then re-encrypt the traffic and send it to its destination if no threats or vulnerabilities are found. This feature works for both clients and servers.|
|IP Address Assignment||Static, (DHCP, PPPoE, L2TP and PPTP client), Internal DHCP server, DHCP relay|
|NAT Modes||1:1, 1:many, many:1, many:many, flexible NAT (overlapping IPs), PAT, transparent mode|
|VLAN Interfaces (802.1q)||25||35||25||50||200|
|Routing||OSPF, RIPv1/v2, static routes, policy-based routing, Multicast|
|QoS||Bandwidth priority. maximum bandwidth, guaranteed bandwidth, DSCP marking, 802.1p|
|Authentication||XAUTH/RADIUS, Active Directory, SSO, LDAP, Novell, internal user database, Terminal Services, Citrix|
|Internal Database/Single Sign-on Users||100/100 Users||150/150 Users||250/250 Users||300/500 Users||1,000/1,000 Users|
|VoIP||Full H.323v1-5, SIP, gatekeeper support, outbound bandwidth management, VoIP over WLAN, deep inspection security, full interoperability with most VoIP gateway and communications devices|
|Schedules||One Time, Recurring|
|Management and Monitoring||Web GUI (HTTP, HTTPS), Command Line (SSH, Console), SNMP v2: Global management with SonicWALL GMS|
|Logging and Reporting||Analyzer, Local Log, Syslog, Solera Networks, NetFlow v5/v9, IPFIX with Extensions, Real-time Visualization|
|High Availability||Optional Active/Passive with State Sync|
|Load Balancing||Yes, (Outgoing with percent-based, round robin and spill-over); (Incoming with round robin, random distribution, sticky IP, block remap and symmetrical remap)|
|Standards||TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, HTTP, HTTPS, IPSec, ISAKMP/IKE, SNMP, DHCP, PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP, RADIUS, IEEE 802.3|
|Wireless Standards||802.11 a/b/g/n, WPA2, WPA, TKIP, 802.1x, EAP-PEAP, EAP-TTLS|
|WAN Acceleration Support||Yes|
|Built-in Wireless LAN|
|Standards||802.11a/b/g/n (WEP, WPA, WPA2, 802.11i, TKIP, PSK,02.1x, EAP-PEAP, EAP-TTLS||N/A|
|Virtual Access Points (VAPs)5–Antennas (5 dBi Diversity)||External Triple, detachable||N/A|
|Radio Power–802.11a/802.11b/802.11g||15.5 dBm max/18 dBm max/17 dBM @ 6 Mbps, 13 dBM @ 54 Mbps||N/A|
|Radio Power–802.11n (2.4GHz)/802.11n (5.0GHz)||19 dBm MCS 0, 11 dBm MCS 15/17 dBm MCS 0, 12 dBm MCS 15||N/A|
|Radio Receive Sensitivity–802.11a/802.11b/802.11g||-95 dBm MCS 0, -81 dBm MCS 15/-90 dBm @ 11Mbps/-91 dBm @ 6Mbps, -74 dBm @ 54 Mbps||N/A|
|Radio Receive Sensitivity–802.11n (2.4GHz)/802.11n (5.0GHz)||-89 dBm MCS 0, -70 dBm MCS 15/-95 dBm MCS 0, -76 dBm MCS 15||N/A|
|Interfaces||(7) 10/100/1000 Copper Gigabit Ports, 2 USB, 1 Console Interface||(5) 10/100/1000 Copper Gigabit Ports, 2 USB, 1 Console Interface Module Slot||(6) 10/100/1000 Copper Gigabit Ports, 1 Console Interface, 2 USB (future Use)|
|Memory (RAM)||512 MB|
|Flash Memory||32 MB Compact Flash||512 MB Compact Flash|
|3G Wireless/Modem7*||With 3G/4G USB Adapter or Modem||N/A||With 3G/4G USB Adapter or Modem|
|Power Supply||36W External||Single 180W ATX Power Supply|
|Fans||No Fan/1 Internal Fan||2 Internal Fans||2 Fans|
|Power Input||10-240Vac, 50-60Hz|
|Max Power Consumption||11W/15W||12W/16W||42W||64W||66W|
|Total Heat Dissipation||37BTU/50BTU||41BTU/55BTU||144BTU||219BTU||225BTU|
|Certifications||VPNC, ICSA Firewall 4.1||EAL4+, FIPS 140-2 Level 2, VPNC, ICSA Firewall 4.1, IPv6 Phase 1, IPv6 Phase 2|
|Certifications Pending||EAL4+, FIPS 140-2 Level 2, IPv6 Phase 1, IPv6 Phase 2||-|
|Form Factor||1U rack-mountable|
|Dimensions||7.125 x 1.5 x 10.5 in/18.10 x 3.81 x 26.67 cm||17 x10.25 x 1.75 in/
43.18 x 26 x 4.44 cm
|17 x 13.25 x 1.75 in/
43.18 x 33.65 x 4.44 cm
|WEEE Weight:||2.15 lbs
|Major Regulatory||FCC Class A, CES Class A, CE, C-Tick, VCCI, Compliance MIC, UL, cUL, TUV/GS, CB, NOM, RoHS, WEEE|
|Environment||40-105 F, 0-40 C||40-105 F, 5-40 C|
|MTBF||28 years/15 years||23 years/14 years||16.0 Years||14.3 Years||14.1 Years|
|Humidity||0-95% non-condensing||10-90% non-condensing|
1 Testing Methodologies: Maximum performance based on RFC 2544 (for firewall). Actual performance may vary depending on network conditions and activated services.
2 Full DPI Performance/Gateway AV/Anti-Spyware/IPS throughput measured using industry standard Spirent WebAvalanche HTTP performance test and Ixia test tools. Testing done with multiple flows through multiple port pairs.
3 Actual maximum connection counts are lower when Next-Generation Firewall services are enabled.
5 VPN throughput measured using UDP traffic at 1280 byte packet size adhering to RFC 2544.
6 Supported on the NSA 3500 and higher.
7 Not available on NSA 2400.
8 With SonicWALL WXA Series Appliance.
*USB 3G card and modem are not included. See http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/cardsupport.html for supported USB devices.
† The Comprehensive Anti-Spam Service supports an unrestricted number of users but is recommended for 250 users or less.
Download the SonicWALL NSA Series Datasheet (.PDF)